There is nothing more frustrating than having a toilet that thinks it’s the “Energizer Bunny” and keeps going and going and going!
Before you hire a plumbing professional, like Plumber Coral Springs, you may want to try a few things first:
When a toilet is running the first thing you need to do is remove the top lid from the tank, flush the toilet and watch what happens. Usually the problem is one of three things:
- Check the flapper
When the toilet tank is not filling up fully this usually indicates a problem with the flapper. The flapper most likely is getting stuck for one of the following reasons:
- The flapper is not properly aligned.
- The flapper has hardened and doesn’t fit properly.
- The flapper is not catching the chain properly or the chain length needs adjusting.
- The chain has come off the flapper.
- If you think the flapper needs changing it is best to call a professional plumber.
- The float arm
Usually the float arm is not rising properly and needs a little adjusting.
- Try bending the float arm slightly downward and see if this fixes the problem.
- Examine the Handle
Many times when a toilet is running there is a problem with the handle.
- The handle is getting stuck and causing the flapper not to seal properly.
- The chain has come off or is loose causing the handle to malfunction.
Remember a toilet that is constantly running is wasting a tremendous amount of water. It could literally increase your water bill by 50 – 100%! If tinkering with the flapper and the float arm still does not fix your running toilet problem…it’s time to call the plumbing professional! Fixing a running toilet sometimes just requires that experience of understanding how all the parts work together and what is malfunctioning, causing your toilet to run.
Call Plumber Coral Springs today at (954) 344-2530!